Monday, August 23, 2010

D2R2 - Deerfield Dirt Road Randonnee 2010



August 21st 2010
Well my first D2R2 is in the bag I'm happy to report. In writing this report 48 hours later D2R2 rewrites itself as a fun event!! 180K (110.45 miles)in approximately 12 hours; rolled out at 6:11AM and returned at 6:17ishPM.

D2R2's 180K Route has 4 stages. (Stage 1 36.5 miles 6,000 ft total climbing)made the rest stop at 10AM this was the third time I had ridden Stage 1 and I was ready for it! It was like a nasty old friend ending with a very long climb up to Heath. They say this section is hard but only a warm up!!

(Stage 2 28.7 miles 3500 ft total climbing)This section is very hard with Archambo's Rd 27% grade followed by Hillman's Rd long hard climb.Glad I had done this hill once before before because it seems never ending. Finished up around 1PM and took a 30 min lunch break (great lunch at the covered bridge)

(Stage 3 32.8 miles 5,000 ft total climbing)They call for four hard climbs then a monster. After you enjoy your lunch you get to enjoy more climbing!!!At mile 84 had Ice Cream at the top of Nelson Rd. The Bart's truck was there just for the riders!! At mile 95 we hit Patton Hill's 20%+ grade starting on pavement then turning to dirt. Finished at the rest stop by 5PM for pickles and pretzels. The volunteers were telling people that pickle juice helps with cramps. While I was there a bunch of the hurting were filling their water bottles with the briny juice hoping for the magical tonic to do it's trick. While tired I was lucky not to have any cramps and by sticking to my ride game plan I had plenty of gas left for the end of the ride.
(Stage 4 13.9 miles 1400 ft total climbing)This section is hard too, you're so close yet so far. Several nasty downhill sections and a few steep little climbs let you know it's not over yet.The Hawk's Rd section can eat you alive if you're not paying full attention. Happy to be done by 6:17+- and off my bike.





I'm so glad I pre-road the course over the past few weeks so I knew what to expect. Ted my riding partner,a very strong rider used a 34X32 for his low gear on his Cyclo-Cross bike and cleaned the 27% pitch of Archambo Rd. That was very impressive.For me I was glad to have opted to ride my trusty LiteSpeed fully rigid MTB with more of a smooth tire. For one I could bomb the nasty downhills with confidence and I knew I had a low enough gear to climb anything in my path. I really can't tell you how much I look forward to doing this ride again next year ; I fully expected to meet the "World's Most Interesting Man" on this ride. It truly was Epic in all regards.





More on the D2R2

D2R2 is a fundraiser for the Franklin County Land Trust. In it's 5 years it has grown to over 650 riders. The 100k and 180K was capped at 600 riders and sold out quickly. 330 riders were signed up for the 180k with it's 16,000+ feet of climbing. Over 80 of the routes 111 miles is on dirt roads.
According to Sandy Whittlesey, founder of the D2R2.We designed it by placing pins in the map where the covered bridges and coolest sights were, and then connected the dots with dirt roads. The flat valley roads of this region are mostly paved; the dirt roads access the remoter areas, and it is steep terrain. Our intent was to make the most beautiful ride we could; the severity is just a consequence of what's there. In fact, the course could be a lot harder if we wanted to make it so. So while web chat pages harp on the severity of the course, all we really want is for people to finish D2R2 saying, "Wow, that was really challenging, but totally worth it because it's such a great bike ride." Thus we hope you come - prepared - to see what this thing is all about.Maybe that's the end assessment after all: if you come with a particular time goal, set your average speed in the first hour or two and try to hold it, this course will eat you alive. But if you come planning to spend a full day out there, forget about your cyclometer and just stay within your comfort zone, you'll have a really great time on some of the most beautiful roads you'll ever ride."

1 comment:

  1. Hi there!

    I am getting ready to ride my first D2R2, and wondering if you had any tips for a first-time D2R2'er. I do plan to follow the founder's wisdom of planning on riding the whole day, no goal except to have a great time.

    I am curious, though, as I will be riding a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR for the event, what your avg mph came out to.

    Any advice will be helpful!

    Thanks, and congrats on your finish!

    - Lynda Beaulieu

    ReplyDelete