Sunday, December 27, 2009

The Start of the 09/10 Season


Fahnestock Ski Area--Carmel NY
Christmas Day Trip Lost NY Ski Areas
This one is a blast from my past! I'm currently doing some research on the long closed Fahnestock Ski Area in Carmel NY. Fahnestock was a small ski area with 2 rope tows, a Poma Lift and a T-Bar. Vert Drop was 235' and it had 2 slopes and 4 trails.

I don't know how old the area is however,Fahnestock was one of the first ski areas in the country to have Snow Making and this was way back in the 50's. From the look of things it's been long closed. Even though the area sits on State Property it is closed to the public and is posted.

Fahnestock will always be a special place to me. This is where my Father taught me how to ski back in the early 70's. I remember being dragged up hill sideways by its rope tow more than once. Life became much easier once I could ski better and was allowed to ride the Poma Lift.


Vic's New Job "Telemarketing" Victor is making his first Telemark turns although he's having a hard time turning right! (That was Zoolander's problem too!) Anyway I think Victor is doing well and he has a natural talent for the sport.
Of course he does have me as an Instructor (PSIA Level II Nordic DH)


Our First NELSAP Attack of the Year /After the "big" blizzard the Saturday night before Christmas, there was just enough snow to make a few turns at JB Williams Park in Glastonbury. Access to the hill required cross-country skiing down the main park trail, followed by a bushwack to the bottom of the tow rope lift. The main slope is all over grown, but the tow line was just wide enough for the first tele turns of the season. Victor lost his cross-country skiing virginity on this day, and he was frequently breathing heavily!

No comments:

Post a Comment